I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Talkathon continues..

So in my attempts to find friends and "more" in Bangalore, I've taken to the chat waves online. A busy life and a lack of social places to meet singles means I've gotta do most of my looking-for-friends-and-more online. Days of fine-tuning a profile so you sound somewhere between cocky (no pun intended) and needy...My Friendster, Orkut, MySpace and Facebook profiles are a great help here...that's where I can try out new things to say and have it critiqued by my friends who will jump to laugh at me if I make any extravagant claims (Yeah, that one about the 10" cock is not true...sorry!)..

Anyway, my forays into the online world of gay chatting have been a combo of interesting , fun, hysteria and hopelessness...sorta a milkshake if you must, of all those ingredients. (Take 3 scoops hopelessness and add to it 2 generous helpings of fun. Stir in a tablespoon of interest and sprinkle liberally with hysteria..). At this point, I have discovered I have certain things about this whole thing..They are - in no particular order -

1. A dislike for people who say Hai, Hiiiiiiiii!, Hallo Dear, Chao, A/S/L (That went out with IRC years ago people!) , T/B

2. India seems to be populated with versatile folk! Perhaps that's why we're so good at stealing everyone else's jobs....(blow or otherwise)

3. Being married clearly doesn't stop many people...

4. Being with another gay man in a "happy" relationship clearly also doesn't stop many people - "I'm here to make friends only as I'm happy with my current boy" - Doesn't explain why you're out looking for 1-on-1 sex and you have a picture of your arse on here!

5. You claim to love to read but can't name the last book you read..you claim to love to hike but can't name the last trail you went on..you claim to love fashion but you wear socks with your sandals...

6. Sometimes coffee means just that - coffee.... (A million points and a chance to buy me a coffee for ANYONE who's heard Eddie Izzard's riff on coffee and "coffee")

7. People who only say Hi. And then vanish. And then reappear a week later to say How are you. And then vanish. And then wake up 3 weeks later and say How's life. And then vani...Oh! You get the picture.

8. I think my favourite profiles are the guys who claim to be shy and introverted and not very social. And who then send you a picture of a cock. NOT the tandoori kind.

9. There will be the occasional gem in the coal mine. And then he'll vanish and you'll bump into him on the arms of the other gem in the coal mine. And then you'll drink a lot and over-tip the rickshaw driver. I'm just saying...

10. Being spotted outdoors by people who've only ever seen your profile is such fun. This last week I've had "Were you on Brigade Road with a green shirt on?", "I saw you at Infinitea wearing a black tee", "You're taller than you look in your pictures" and "You're uglier than you look in your pictures..stop fooling us!".

How much fun is this!

22 Comments:

  • At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting....well I've heard that occasionally you get to sleep with one of these gems and even go to a parade the next morning, so don't lose heart!
    IGC

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger The Line of Beauty said…

    well..i have been doing pretty much the same thing..and trust me, delhi is much worse..here reading starts with '5 point someone' and 'ends with 'one night a call center' for one of those rare gems in coal mine..and coffee..that word doesn't exist here without the accompaniment of sex..

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i agree...i agree...have just started doing the rounds of the gay chat forums myself and some of whats out there is seriously to be seen / read / chatted with to believe!!! :) best of luck with your search for that gem and hopefully u'll find him single, unattached and not hooked onto the other gem!!!! :):)

    - abhi

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I fall in category 4 :) ...... what do i do if my boy friend wants me to invite "friends" for emmm , err :| Monopoly

    By the way Zenzi ,sat night met a guy ...who Zeus himself created for YOU

    Come to mumbai so that i can introduce u to him . And then u can get married and have kids ..oops i did it again .

    cheers

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Je suis le President du Burundi.

     
  • At 2:33 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    igc: I'm not losing heart as long as I know there are regular flights between Boston and wherever I am;-) I haven't been to a parade in a LONG TIME (hint hint). Nor have I danced to Ella..

    The Line of Beauty: I agree..I've heard Delhi has it worse..but with better looking people. Instead of a coffeeshop/bookstore that I've always wanted to open, I think I'd make more money with a coffeeshop/bordello.

    abhi: Such gems do not exist :-)

    irock: This is life..Zeus at Zenzi while I'm stuck with Murugan at Mocha.

    Nuff Said: Congrats. You win the chance to buy me coffee. Cake or death?

     
  • At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    babies. tasting of chicken.

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Babies on spikes.

    Thank you for flying Church of England.

     
  • At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen. You're the only one today.

    [we're not going to keep this up endlessly, are we? already people are wondering why i'm guffawing in cubicle?]

     
  • At 4:18 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Guns don't kill people, squirels with guns do.

    She was like China at the United Nations Security Council meeting of my virginity.

     
  • At 4:18 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    So just shut up and ask me out for a coffee already!

     
  • At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    err... that may not work. your GMail should clear it all up.

     
  • At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    arre baba! you are a hottie...dilli aon!

    No vikster fan...just plain ol me...Shivraj!

     
  • At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so---u missed your 'gourmet delite' this time round at mohammed ali road....did u find something appetizing in blr - the gourmet kind or otherwise??? :) - abhi

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Vikster.Lover said…

    what if this gem thinks that he let go of a diamond ....

    should the diamond not reconsider ?

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You don't know me, but you couldn't be more like me. Except I'm a straight girl! I

    found your blog by accident (believe it or not: I googled 'bombay catholic' and one of your posts from 05 turned up. Now I'm hooked.

    If you ever decide to visit Australia, look me up! I live in the pasta capital of Sydney, and make a mean bhel puri at home.

    Shalini

     
  • At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Vikster, I have a couple of gay friends in Bangalore. If I see you in Tavern again, I'll introduce you to them. Keep the faith.

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Shivraj: Nahin yaara, tussi Bangalore aa jaoo! PS. Liked the tie the other night.

    Abhi: Eid was fun..went out to a colleagues place for iftar. Had some awesome chicken boti kebab.

    Vikster Lover: Oy. With the name.

    Shalini "men": Thankyouverymuch! Will do so if I ever visit Oz. I have a couple of friends there..including a Bandra Mac boy who'd be more than happy to meet you :-)

    Spartacus: We met at Tavern?

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are no bandra mac boys in Sydney who are more than happy to meet me. I challenge you to find one!

    Oh, for a boti kebab right now....

    Shalini

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Vikster.Lover said…

    can we chat ?

    u on any IMs

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger once again said…

    hahahaha :-)

    Well, I only find the occasional gems. Infact now the occasional gem isn't that rare anymore, everyone's got one, but me.

    - sigh -

    and u missed out the verbose kinds, who want to do a dissertation on your "likes" and "preferences".

    :)

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    u still looking for a friend...try www.guys4men.com, i don't know if u have tried it
    by the way just love your blog..have read all of them rite from the first one.
    neways cya arnd i guess
    call me genie ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home