I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The big move

So finally, after looking at over 34 apartments, houses, holes-in-the-wall - I've finally moved into a nice-ish 2 bedroom in Indiranagar. The area reminds me of Bandra in Bombay - IF Bandra's Mac aunties metamorphosized into rich Telegu aunties and IF the lingua franca were less "What men bugger" and more "That only macha".

Shopping has pretty much drained the wallet. Who knew beds were this expensive! Finally ended up buying one from this Marathi designer called Ekbote (One-fingered) which I thought was quite appropriate given certain proclivities I enjoy. Figured I'm incredibly immature at times - like when I collapsed into fits of giggles when the salesman told me I can either have 5" or 6" on my bed (He meant mattress thickness I'm sure..). Who knows! With my new "have place" check on eligibility, I might actually start using this bed soon. Atleast, I can only hope.

Bangalore continues to grate. A flying visit to Bombay for the weekend only served to emphasize the gap between the two cities. I love Bangalore's weather and choice of continental food. For almost everything else - Bombay rulez. The rickshaw driver who dropped me home from the airport in Bombay actually gave me exact change in return and didn't demand a rupee more - I'm waiting for the day this happens to me in Bangalore...Plus, I miss Hawaiian Shack dearly...and my friends who - though they hate the Shack with a passion - will still come all the way to Bandra to party with me there. Compare that to Bangalore, where even getting someone to agree to have a coffee at somewhere mid way is akin to pulling teeth.

Ah well, I whine a bit sometimes. Am trying hard to look at this as a new adventure. I've already roped in 3 other ex-Bombay folk who meet up and talk about clubbing till 1.30 am and holding hands in public. That sorta thing.

Meanwhile, the quest to get a friend in bangalore continues. The Dashing Dentist - who you might remember from a previous post - called. Did I miss him, he ventured to ask. Well, seeing as I was stood up the last time I was to meet him, not very much. Do I want to sleep with him, he continued. Conflicting issues raged in my head - he was dashing, intelligent and rich - and I am poor and OH MY GOD so horny.
Pride won though. No thanks, I'm not looking for that - I lied through my teeth (ironic - seeing I was talking to a dentist).

Now I walk around with blue balls and no date in the far distance.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified...

13 Comments:

  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    The rickshaw driver who dropped me home from the airport in Bombay actually gave me exact change in return and didn't demand a rupee more

    OH MY GOD. I so sympathise. I suck at being from anywhere but Bombay.

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah!! Auto drivers don't give you exact change! Well, let me correct, the part of the city that you are staying and working in is the IT Corridor. Let me tell you, the worst of the traffic, crimes, and the attitude of the auto drivers are seen on those IT-corridors. You guys have shown them the money; today you guys are suffering, no big deal!! Instead of whining over such things, how many weekends have you spent your time with such respectable NGOs and voluntary organizations which operate in the city, have you interacted with those people or thought about how you can contribute to the upliftment of those people. Go to Samarthanam or work with Hasiru Usiru for one single day! Come on!! Grow up Vik!! I suck at being anything but an hoi polloi Indian!

     
  • At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Did I miss him, he ventured to ask."

    Ohhhh-how i hate that question from a guy who's refused to call...i mean - do u really expect me to miss u buddy!!! Glad that ur pride won here.....:) :)

    ---abhi

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i call and i call ....and then call u some more ....But u do not answer .... and u answered the Dashing Dentist .... :(

    good that u told him keep his dentures where they belong :) ....

    CAll Me :( ... imagine where my pride is ..

    Regards,
    Vikster Lover

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL...
    thats a nice blog. looks like today will read most of them. :-) be ready for some dozens of comments.
    well, thats abt comments...
    Money- though your wallet is drained as you've mentioned, I may not be of much help. :-p

    Sexual favours? LOL...
    Regards,
    Mayur.

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Come visit me in Karachi instead and we'll see what we can sort out for you ;) Surely the wonders of Manjam and Gaydar must have someone in Bangalore, no?

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Wild Reeds said…

    warm vibes and hugs @ Vikster...

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have said this before and I will say this again. B'Lore is a glorified village.

    BTW have you tried the chilly beef at Peco's ? (if it is still open) It is muy delicioso.

    Aaargh ! Now I have that song stuck in my head. For the benefit of the rest of the crowd....

    First I was afraid
    I was petrified
    Kept thinking I could never live
    without you by my side
    But I spent so many nights
    thinking how you did me wrong
    I grew strong
    I learned how to carry on
    and so you're back
    from outer space
    I just walked in to find you here
    with that sad look upon your face
    I should have changed my stupid lock
    I should have made you leave your key
    If I had known for just one second
    you'd be back to bother me

    Go on now go walk out the door
    just turn around now
    'cause you're not welcome anymore
    weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye
    you think I'd crumble
    you think I'd lay down and die
    Oh no, not I
    I will survive
    as long as i know how to love
    I know I will stay alive
    I've got all my life to live
    I've got all my love to give
    and I'll survive
    I will survive

    It took all the strength I had
    not to fall apart
    kept trying hard to mend
    the pieces of my broken heart
    and I spent oh so many nights
    just feeling sorry for myself
    I used to cry
    Now I hold my head up high
    and you see me
    somebody new
    I'm not that chained up little person
    still in love with you
    and so you felt like dropping in
    and just expect me to be free
    now I'm saving all my loving
    for someone who's loving me

     
  • At 3:58 AM, Blogger Anant said…

    dude,
    bbay is an urban mess. i went to my friend's place in bbay for a vacation, and it was a very bad idea. it takes forever to go anywhere. there are SO many ppl in that city. there are millions in a mall at any time. everyplace is a cruising spot. Oh!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok, in a cafe near you for one more week OR we can do Balaji's chilly beef at Peco's .

    Will wait 4 u at Peco's , so what if it gives me a heartburn while i eat the chilly beef all alone :(

    Now I am afraid,
    Later petrified,
    VikBoy will I survive ?

    Regards,
    Vikster Lover

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "regards" bwahahahahahahahahah

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger kalpana said…

    it's amazing how much i love reading ur blog even though ur choice of topic is one:)

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mainu toa bilkul hasi nahi ayi. thoda sa acha chutkula share kardo bhai vik.. aise bekar baathey na kariyo.. bade ho jao ab bhai..

    delhi ka punjabi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home