I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's lunchtime and..

I'm going through all the blogs that are listed on the right hand side of this post (*gestures with Vanna White-ish motion towards list*). I find that my friend from college Hob Gadling very kindly tagged me on the 20th of December and true to my procrastinating self, I'm only getting around it today.. almost a month later. Sounds about right eh?

So here goes...drumroll please (I'm suffering from watching the Golden Globe presentation show twice and the first episode of American Idol; 2 hours long; twice as well..) This is Vikster's list of his Top Ten favourite things to eat. And no, the rump of a Midwestern farm boy does not count.... Does it?

10. Alu Methi : Potatoes and Fenugreek (for my 4 readers in Israel and South Africa and ... Borneo?) to be more precise. I can eat about a ton of this at a time if I have some steamed rice and dal (sheeth ani dali toi in Konkani) to go with it. Everyone's happy. My dad cause I'm eating vegetarian, my mum cause I'm eating green stuff and me...cause I like it!

9. Tiramisu : I'm not a huge sweet things fan usually but I'll do anything for some good tiramisu (Did you know there's a tiramisu candy bar now?). Sadly haven't found any good stuff in Bombay .. besides the stuff made by the Italian chef I was schtupping for a while. So I guess store-bought Trader Joe's stuff still rules in my book.

8. Chicken Shawarma : I share a love for Chicken Shawarma along with Ariel Sharon and Saddam Hussain (food of choice for ageing overweight Middle-Easterners!) I thought I'd never eat good shawarma once I moved out of Brookline (Shawarma King on Beacon Street rocked my life for the 2 years I spent at Coolidge Corner). And guess what? Biona in Bandra (Hill Road) has quite a similar quality. OK, so here it's saltier, the tahini is not as good and the cook isn't a hot Arab hunk from Nablus...but so what?

7. Chicken Cordon Bleu : To be more specific, the one at Cafe Mocambo in the Fort. Deep fried chicken fillets, stuffed with ham and cheese in a creamy mushroom sauce with bacon and truffle garnish. Thud.

(That was the sound of me collapsing as the giant ball of grease traverses my blood vessels and f's up my brain)

6. Garlic Pierozhkis : To the desis who dunno what a pierozhki is .. it's a Slavic dish that sorta looks like a stuffed karanji - if the karanji was made of maida, stuffed with garlic mashed potatoes and boiled. I can eat it any which way. Just boiled with some olive oil dressing, smothered in pasta sauce or deep fried with ketchup. I think I once went for 2 whole weeks eating nothing but pierozhkis. And drinking nothing but plum brandy. And watching Tarakovsky over and over again as I debated how to slit my wrists. Ooh Slavic depression, how I love thee!

5. Kaanda Bhajiya : Onion Bhaji as the Paki restaurants in London call it...The perfect accompaning dish to a hot cup of ginger tea. It's the quintessential Bombay monsoon meal. You get soaked on your way back home, you wade through 3 feet deep gutters, you dodge drowned rats and homeless people, you come home to a leaky 300 square foot house, put your feet up and enjoy your Kaanda bhajiya! The typical Bombay guy experience.

4. Chicken Pot rice : I'm addicted to the one they make at 5-Spice in Bandra. People who know me in person will know why 5-Spice is my new favorite hang out place in Bombay (hehe!). And their pot rice is total paisa vasool. 180 bucks for a meal for two? Awe-bleddy-some as Diandra Perolina Elvira Soares-Figueriedo aunty would say (If she could afford the restaurant to begin with..)

3. Bombay Duck fry : At Gajalee, Vile Parle E (I'm secretly proud of being one of the first people to eat there..we went there on the opening day. Us from Bandra and the Deshpandes, Sahasrabuddhes and Mashelkars of the area). For a Tuluva place, they sure make very good Bombay Duck (*takes break to point out to 3 readers in Ottawa that Bombay Duck is a fish native to the Arabian Sea near Bombay*). Best way to eat it? Squeeze some lemon juice on some well battered, deep fried bombil and you're good to go.

2. Mackeral Rechiad : The only (food-related) reason to go to Goa methinks. Fresh mackeral stuffed with vinegary spicy Goan masala and fried, eaten with some hot steamed rice and perhaps some gravy from your friend's xacuti. Awesome. Mackeral being a very oily fish to begin with has that smooth gamey texture that makes it so tasty with rice...plus it's Goan food which I love anyway!

And the number 1. thing I love to eat is...(Johnny Depp! oops..wrong list)

1. Crab in Coconut curry : Amchigele (Konkani) style! It's been my favorite dish since I discovered what a mess i was allowed to make at the dining table while eating it. Now that I've mastered the art of shelling a crab with the tips of the fingers of my right hand alone (woohooo! Resume-worthy skill methinks!), I demand this all the time from po' ol' Amma who realized soon enough that the cons of being a good cook are the incessant demands from me!

So there you have it, my top 10 favorite things to eat. A prepondrance of fishy things pays homage to my Konkani heritage, the random foreign maal on the list is thanks to my years in random foreign lands (Or "vilaayat" as I like to call it).

It's been 2 hours since I started this post. It's made me so hungry, I've had to order in a couple of burgers to fill up that nagging, gnawing, gaping hole in my stomach. Munch.

Current Music:
Laissez-moi dancer - Dalida

If I was a drag queen performer , this would be the song I'd sing. But then I'd have to shave my legs...and there's not time enough in this epoch for me to get anywhere with all that hair!

17 Comments:

  • At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Except for the foreign "maals" (I haven't had to fortune to try them out), I love each one from you list.

    This got me thinking about the top 10 of my favorite things to eat. After about 10 minutes I realized, its not possible to make such a list for me. There are so many! My love handles are proof enough.

    And thanks for making me break my diet resolution. I need to order something from the Malwani restaurant that's opened downstairs. The have Bombi Fry... WooHoo!

    Jay

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    * They have Bombil Fry!

    not-into-proof-reading,
    Jay

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fait est sur le prêt

    from you know whom! :P read your comment followed you here... but i always read you blog mind you ! but i wai for you to settle down in your mind first... eh..?

    anyway sweet blog.... but I think you should write about sex (kidding). the woes of a gay guy am in early 20s and no admirer for me :(

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    J'aime les plus vieux poèmes.. vous avez posté ils touchent... mais le regard dans Grec aussi, ils sont des hommes excités que vous savez

    the loaned one :P

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger Vikster said…

    You're French, in your early 20's and talk about sex a lot.

    I think I might know you ! LOL!

     
  • At 1:57 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Omg, you're listening to Elliot Smith too! He's fantastic, isn't he? Do you listen to Jeff Buckley? (As far as I can recall, Bob is a Buckley fan too.)

    And ooh, food. I'm currently subsisting on one kind of food, so it goes something like this for me:

    1. Maggi.
    2. Maggi with cheese.
    3. Tomato-flavoured Maggi with cheese.
    4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. And other types of Maggi.

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HEY VICK!

    My favorite thing to eat is PRINCESS CAKE, from the thrid street farmer's market in LA. Better than sex, for sure.
    It's a soft yellow cake with whipped cream and rasberries and a green coat of M A R Z I P A N....Marzipan is GOD'S true covenent to mankind ---I know cause it says so in DEUTORONOMY 20:33

    DUNCAN HINEY

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger sudeep said…

    Can you PLEASE stop faffing around and start putting your writing to more constructive use...no I dont mean social change, I mean making money and entertaining a wider range of people than just the readers of this blog!?! You could start with writing copy for a restaurant (preferably coastal cuisine!) at a 5 star hotel!!!

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    I'm hungrrry! :(
    And i want to eat ALL of those...and i sooo understand #6 :p
    :p

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Been reading ur blogs for months now.. never wrote a comment tho..(good / bad ?? hmmnn)

    Anyhow.. Goan mackeral , crab curry , kaanda bhajiya's... yummmmmmmm me is hungry too and im having 2 miss seafood dinner tonyt . SIgh :(

    Some of the stuff i njoied reading - Reflections , Christmas cheer, that blog abt ur music.. i hadnt heard of any on that list and lots more ...

    Keep writing , its always a good read !

    ??

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well...i got addicted to ur blog and finished all ur posts in one day. and i am not much into reading but ur blog kept me hooked..
    this is better than anything i read in print...i absolutely adore the gay insight u put into matters

     
  • At 4:48 AM, Blogger Archster said…

    hmmmpphh

    I am no longer in the list of blogs u read!

    hhmmppph!

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    Ummm...er...You've spelt Cavafy wrong in your "Stuff I read daily" list on the right :)
    And, i like the new template. Verry chic and all that ;)

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear vick...

    Am posting my first ever comment on your blog though i must confess that i have been reading away forever....Have been the silent spectator to a lot that has been chronicled...and i am in awe of how you can make the effort to express.... i think its really coooool.

    Am straight....but can relate with a lot of stuff you feel....i have no qualms admitting that! No male ego being hurt...in fact its nice to know that there are such incredibly normal gay people all across the city...Makes me wanna hit people who go about saying that its not normal to be gay...

    I might have been rather candid...but i must add that i am a fan...will hopefully post comments more often...

    tarun

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger Toni Farley said…

    This reads like a restaurant menu that I'm struggling to find a vegetarian entree on :) Oh, and I'm not on your list either brat :P But, you're excused as I rarely have anything interesting to say, and don't contribute nearly the level of skill as you.

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Vik-man, either you haven't updated since you wrote this entry, or you have the honour of being, like, the ONLY site in the world my office IPs are blocking. Vicious world, say I.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It's been lunchtime for so long this place gives me the impression of being a Municipal Office.

    Get back to work boy and post something new...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home