I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Goa diary - Part 1



My first vacation in 2005! (OK so I'm not counting the days I spent doing "volunteer work"..cough..unemployed..cough). For the second year in a row, I "did" Goa. Along with everyone else in Bombay it seems. Then again, proportionately, I think there were more Delhiwallahs there..lots of "haalthee-waalthee" Punjabi mundas with fair skin, aquiline noses and atrocious English and worse manners. But I digress...

I made Goa plans with a bunch of fun friends of mine..and friends of theirs. All "family".. well, except for the straight women who came along with us. Had a harrowing time trying to locate the car we were driving in at Bandra East. Man, the traffic in that part of the city is HORRIBLE! Anyway, found the car, found the driver and off we went..driving off into the sunset (well, not quite..seeing as driving due west would send us into the Arabian Sea and enroute to Somalia - NOT where I planned on spending New Year's Eve). Realized very early that our driver was a maniac, a speed demon, insane actually. This made us break off ou journey a little earlier than we expected...spening the night at a ratty old hotel in Chiplun - about halfway to Goa. After donating what seemed like the better part of a pint to the mosquitoes of Chiplun (I got a thank you card from their happy buzzing children yesterday .. written in blood?), we took off after many groans and moans at 5 am. (Minds outta the gutter..it was wicked early that's all..and COLD!)

And passed miles upon miles of beautiful Konkan scenery. I think I quite bored Ro's ears off yapping about the differences in architechture between Brahmin tiled roofs and Kunbi ones. Man, I need to forget some of the trivia I'm carrying around. I need one of those Dumbledore pensieves or something. Anyway, about 20 hours after leaving Bombay, my sore litle ass got to Baga-Calangute..into what seemed like the precursor to Spring Break in Cancun...only with HOT HOT HOT HOT men around and very mediocre women. That's what will remain the lasting memory of this vacation for me. The men were incredibly hot. The women? Not quite.

And then the vacation melts into one vision of "wake up, breakfast, beach, lunch, beach, tea, beach, club, dinner, club, bar, club, sleep". Lather, rinse, repeat.
English breakfast - sausages, bacon, toast, marmalade, potatoes, tomato and Heinz baked beans with a huge pot of Assam! Man, if I ate breakfast like that everyday I'd turn into Ariel Sharon's younger, obese'r brother! It's a wonder I even had room for lunch follwing such a breakfast...and the couple of beers that followed. And all this EVERYDAY for 3 days! Not to mention the lunches at Sousa Lobo's, the shopping at Casa Goa and the 3 km trek up and down the Baga-Calangute road pushing off the cabbies, the Rajasthani lantern sellers and the Kashmiri handicraft guys (Though I wouldn't have minded taking home a couple of those Kashmiri shop guys...man! That militancy and bad weather breeds some hot guys up there!). I resisted shopping till the last day..and even then I ended up buying cashews (My favoutire Konkani dish tendle-bibbo upkari is made from it..).

I felt weird a few times...I had spent last New Year's Eve in the VERY SAME place but with M. by my side. It felt weird to go places where the two of us had enjoyed ourselves so darn much. Passing O'Pescador where I sang a song for him over dinner, walking past Roseal's - the shack the two of s spent our days at, even eating beef stroganoff at Sousa Lobo's..all mixed up with mackerel Rechiad. Everyone a memory of a lost love.

The next post will be about my fantastic (tres tres fantastique) New Year's Eve watching the fireworks on the beach and dancing the night away at Eden - Calangute's very own gay club and about the fun people I met in Goa...2 of whom I would have dated - had they been available!

Current Music:
Missing - Everything but the Girl

Like the deserts miss the rain. Ah well...C'est la vie, non?

18 Comments:

  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    Happy New Year! Looking forward to part 2... U at least just got nostalgic... I SAW an ex and an eminently forgettable past fling in the span of 1 hour! Imagine what that did to my self-esteem!

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Dumaketu said…

    "...and so the feeling grows" - I think its quite natural that most of us get quite nostalgic as years pass by... Goa II - where are you? I'm impatient to read more *grin*

    May the New Year turn out well for you...

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy New Year!

    Nice pic of the sun (is it rising or setting? looks like dawn - is it in Chiplun?- but given the moans and groans at 5 am pun intended, can one assume dusk *evil grin*)

    I went to Goa just a couple of weeks ago - brilliant !- the days nice and breezy for biking through old goa and the evenings nippy and full of hot people floating around the clubs

    where did you people stay - we were at the calangute residency for want of anything better (and reasonably priced) on the beachfront.

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked the pic of V's leg better; it fires my imagination :-)...

    Happy New Year Vikram

    - Sandeep

     
  • At 1:23 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Vij; Happy New Year to you too...You know just how I feel about what you mentioned:-)

    Dumaketu: Goa 2 is coming..once I figure out just which pictures I should put up on there..Some of my pictures are decidely PG-13..

    Anony: Would be great if you left a name...
    It's the rising sun outside Chiplun on the way to Goa. We stayed at a nice small family hotel thing at Baga..AT baga!

    Sandeep: *blush*. It looks much hairier in pictures! I'm shocked!

     
  • At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well, a happy new year to you. belated.

     
  • At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here is one delhiwallah who couldn't make it to Goa and am i green with envy!

    The Feet again! Seems like a fetish!

    Hope to catch you some time in 2006!

    Cheers

     
  • At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On second thoughts was eaden worth it! haven't been able to check it out yet!

     
  • At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those legs are laden with possibility.

    Viraf
    Surrounded by 5 nephews in Pune I have only now been able to get the computer to myself

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Man, I need to forget some of the trivia I'm carrying around" are the most honest words utttered on this blog.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i found the YETI! Just kidding. You are so lucky to be on that beach.

    duncan

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Oh, Goa. You lucky person! Happy New Year. Here's to more blogging. And more taking vacations.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    saw ur blog and am supremely nostalgic... goa.. sweet memories.. i envy u now man...
    tripped by ya blog... neat shit..
    have fun ... and drink up drink up
    later bro
    g
    --
    http://g-thisisme.blogspirit.com

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Id it is said…

    I visited Goa some ten odd years ago and those picturesque memories can still drive me into a trance. We camped in the Bondla Wildlife Sactuary. I wonder if that still exists...

     
  • At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    u gay fucker

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Toni Farley said…

    Good for you! Don't think I could do it. Although I must confess, I've been thinking about hanging around his old address... Back to today, next time I drop by this year, Goa is on the agenda :)

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey whatever happened to Part II?

    I can not believe that it is stuck with the censors?

    Or, as rumor has it, have the Aminal rights guys objected to the visuals of abuse of some exotic foxy guys?

    Viraf

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Anindita Sengupta said…

    Your post made me so so nostalgic! Was in Goa about three months back and have my own version of the Goa Diaries.:) Where is part 2 of your's btw?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home