I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Monday, December 26, 2005

Reflections?

What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Blog.

Did you keep new year's resolutions and will you make more next year?
I don't make resolutions. Never have.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin's wife did. To a beautiful blue-eyed baby girl. I'm very happy for them. (Wondering if I'll ever be that happy and proud...)

Did anyone close to you die?
Weirdly, no. This has got to be the first year that happened. I'm glad in a way. But scared that means 2006 will have deaths a-plenty.

What countries did you visit?
None. I considered going to Pakistan to meet M. when he was there but somehow it didn't happen. Ah well.

What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
A chance and the money to travel abroad on a vacation.

What dates from 2005 will remain etched in your memory and why?
January 17th - Celebrating M.'s birthday with him holding me.
August 19th - The end of our relationship. I can still remember how lost I felt that day.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I really don't know how to answer this question. I suppose it will have to be meeting wonderful people from all over the world. (G-d, I sound like Miss World when I say this!)

What was your biggest failure this year?
I lost a few friends. I take it personally that I wasn't able to forgive.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
No. Unless you count the over-indulgence on Punjab Sweet House samosa related gastric distress.

What was the best thing you bought?
A pair of cool looking canvas shoes. They have kept my feet so comfy I'm amazed!

Whose behaviour merited celebration?
A friend of mine K. who left his job and moved to the Andaman islands to help out people who've lost everything post-tsunami. He's still there as of now..it's been a year. He got profiled in a major magazine this week which is cause for celebration. But more than that, I admire him for this.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Certain aquaintances of mine. The ones still having unsafe, promiscous sex. in 2005!

What did you spend most of your spare cash on?
Wine, men and song. And food, lots of it.

What did you get really, really excited about?
Meeting Mithun Chakraborthy for an interview. I almost pee'd my pants.

What song will always remind you of 2005?
Kajra Re. The single most played song everywhere this year. I have to agree with Kate on this one.

Compared to this time last year are you happier or sadder?
Sadder. This time last year, I was picking up M. from the airport. I don't think I have ever been happier.

Thinner or fatter?
Fatter. All around my belly sadly. Bye Bye flat stomach.

Richer or poorer?
Poorer money wise.
Richer friend wise.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Been a better brother to my sister.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Whine about how sad my life is. (It really isn't..not when I compare it to those of most other people).

How will you be spending Christmas?
In Pune at a friend's birthday party. And no. My friend is NOT Jesus.

Did you fall in love in 2005?
Nope. I started the year off in love with someone and I'm ending it in love with someone.
Then again, I'm in love with a couple of people I've never met...just by reading their comments on my blog.

How many one-night-stands?
A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell. (That's the polite way of saying "It's none of your business")

What was your favorite TV programme?
The Amazing Race takes the cake another year running! Though the family edition SUCKED!

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. The people I hate, I've hated for a long time now.

What was the last book you read?
Founding Mothers (the biographies of assorted wives and daughters of the American Founding Fathers)

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Serbian folk music.

What did you want and get?
The respect of my peers (HAHAHAHAHAHAHH!)

What did you want and not get?
M.

What was your favorite film this year?
In 2005, I'd have to say "Die Mommie Die" (which was released in 2003 I think, but I only watched it this year.

What did you do on your birthday and how old are you?
I watched a movie alone and then bought myself a cupcake. I'm 28.

What one thing would've made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A long holiday through Southern Europe. Alone.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Went from military to Indian commie to urban gay boi. I just haven't found a look that I like.

What kept you sane?
Hanging out at Cafe Coffee Day in Bandra with a good book watching the sea.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Abhishek Bachchan (India)
Gavin Newsom (the Mayor of San Francisco)

What political issue has stirred you the most?
The fact that a corruption issue held up the business of the Parliament for days while important bills needed to be passed. (I'm a politics junkie)

Who did you miss?
M.

Who was the best new person you met this year?
Everyone of you blog readers I met this year. It's amazing how awesome you all are (in your own ways, of course!)

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.
There is always someone out there who cares for me (even when I feel all alone)

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'

(I hope you dance - Lee Ann Womack)

14 Comments:

  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger shyam said…

    Have a great 2006 :-)

     
  • At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Be like this and I think you will live through 2006.

    Great ;)

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    The important part is you're ending this year "in love with someone"!!
    While most others (Read: me) are still having their dating disasters. (You witnessed one last saturday...)
    But hope springs eternal! Have a gut feeling 2006 will be great for all of us!
    :)

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    loved the lyrics! :)

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great adj. 1) Very large in size, expanse, etc.; immense; vast. 2) Large in number, quantity, etc. 3)Long in extent or time. 4) Of very considerable degree, intensity, etc. 5) Unusually important, impressive, or remarkable. 6) Of unusual excelence; superior; eminent. 7) Noble and elevated, as in character, action, feeling, etc. 8) Most important of its kind; chief; main. 9) (Informal) Adept; skilled. 10) (Informal) Excellent; first rate. 11) More remote by a single generation than the relationship indicated.

    The year's always gonna be great. No matter what. ALWAYS.

    Wishing everyone their own great new year!! :D

    Rohan

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    gay fokker kyo pakata hai public ko......

     
  • At 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The birthday one is a lie! Vikster had a celebration with his friends, food, and fish (at a restaurant in Vile Parle.

    Do not tell tales young man!!

    Meenu!

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger sudeep said…

    You have a surprisingly acute memory and hence a dangerous man to know!
    I wonder at the "hahahahaha.." for "respect of my peers"....first, define peers and then, decode laughter!

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh i LOVED the amazing race.. was my favourite programme on tv.. adored the 1st 7 seasons. especially when they came to india, was interesting to see them struggle but finally get by.
    i hated the family edition too. stopped watching it midway. i hope they resume the normal format for future seasons

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Id it is said…

    Did I read your 'self survey' for 2005?
    Yes I did.
    Did I believe all of it?
    Certainly not.
    Did I like/agree with all that was there?
    Not really.
    Did I enjoy it?
    Now, that..
    I did!
    Happy New Year.

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Jesus is EVERYONE'S friend.

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger PChaacha said…

    Punjab Sweet House samosas at Pali Naka!!...damn you dude, that made a good bit of my salive just leak out of my lips.

    This one afternoon in my summer long trip back home in Bandra I was mad hungry about 4pm and just ventured onto Pali Naka. Dropped into Punjab Sweet House. Asked for 4 samosas. Those Sardar uncles are so nice...they forced me to have a seat and later when I asked for the bill asked me to finish up the samosas first. ROFL.

    Thats the missing part of life in the US. No Naakas, no street chanawalas...

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well...looks like u had a great year....a man cant ask for more than that it one year...love...heart ache...love...

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Birthday wishes said…

    This blog needs some birthday wishes...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home