I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Monday, November 14, 2005

Too disorganized to think clearly!

I'm all over the place today. I think I dropped about a million things this morning cause I'm wicked pre-occupied with weird shit. Some work. Mostly weird shit. Like wondering why processed cheese is so vile but so good in a grilled sandwitch. Or why my back aches when I haven't done any manual labour for ... umm.. years? Or how to respond or even think to a very strange comment to my blog?

Anyway, lest I proceed to bore you, let me tell you about the most productive thing I did today (well, excluding work where I seem to have excelled this morning! And no, that's just a lousy pun on all the stupid Excel spreadsheets I updated). I started a BOOK CLUB! It's also a movie club (since I dunno how many will join my club if I mention books..). The link is (mark it down children!) http://pseudcorner.blogspot.com

Our first book is Vikram Seth's "Two Lives". Read it and comment about it or review it in a new post. Just join the blog (some weird funda about having to become a memeber of my blog circle should follow here..but I have no idea how it works) and write away. I promise not to censor (just moderate for gross obscenity).

And if you have any issues with someone's reviews please feel free to comment on that particular post.

I started this because I seem to know quite a few people who enjoy reading and talking about books. Now Bombay being Bombay, it's hard to co-ordinate a time for us all to meet over coffee and chat about a book. Ergo, online seems the way to go. I hope this experiment works out (and hope y'all do your part by publicizing the book club blog!).

We can also try recommending movies as well..for those of us who don't read. I recommend Francois Ozon's "8 Women" (Huit femmes). It's one of my favourites..a film set in the 1950's, filmed like a play on a set, set to Bollywood type song and dance routines..and starring the who's who (or the Who's that if you don't like la cinema francaise) of French cinema...Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert, Fanny Ardant..

Anyway, I do hope you guys will try this experiment out. I don't want this to follow my long list of failed experiments....heterosexuality, love, yams, veggie food...

Current Music:
The Requiem Mass (Kyrie Eleison) - Mozart

The first time I heard this performed live at Harvard's Sanders theatre, I cried. It is one of the most powerful vocal performances methinks..followed very closely by the Hallelujah chorus by Handel..

10 Comments:

  • At 3:21 AM, Blogger Archster said…

    lol...i loved ur conclusion. the one before the cryin bit of course. :)

    Most bloggers read. Ergo, im sure this will not be a failed attempt.

    And the the url of the blog is bloody hilarious.

     
  • At 6:15 AM, Blogger karuna said…

    Will msot definately visit, will try huit femmes, assuming its in french it'll make my french teacher proud. :)

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    All the best for this new productive endeavor you have so proudly embarked upon. I shall definitely do my bit...soon!
    And we need to swap some music soon... I make a mental note every time i read it mentioned here and then i forget!
    Now you're obliged to remind me ;) Hehehe...

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger a guppie said…

    hey u need to invite us to join. Saw 8 Women last evening - thanks really enjoyed myself.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger bluegreenflysplat said…

    oh i *love* that piece. and I haven't even heard it played live.

    Try reviewing The Kite Runner, naa... I just bought it, and I know it isn't really new and all, but its a great book. I think.

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Enemy of the Republic said…

    I too, will participate. You always have great ideas.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger roswitha said…

    But this is cool! I'm already part of another book blog, but I wish to participate in this also. (Although I am so not buying the Seth until it comes out in paperback - I have a huge crush on the man but I'm also financially-challenged.)

    Also, hurrah for all the religious music you're listening to.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Toni Farley said…

    It's better to be in many places all at once than nowhere for even a moment.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    are erotic books allowed? not dat i read any. have been meaning to read kite runner for ages, but i'm stuck on catch-22 STILL! sigh.. it takes me ages to finish a book!

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Archie: So I'm hoping you'll be contributing your mite (why does this sentence sound SO wrong!) to the new blog as well..and popularizing the BOOK CLUB!

    Karuna: Oui! La film est en Francais..c'est tres bien...je l'aime beaucoup..

    Vij: You've been reminded.

    Guppie: Am working out said logistics as soon as I care.

    Bluegreenblahblah: Excellent, maybe that can be our next book at the BOOK CLUB!

    Enemy OTR: Thank you madame! If I wasn't this brown, I'd blush.

    Roswitha: I'm also listening to pre-Islamic revolution Persian pop. I LOVE GOOGOOSH! (Well, her name to start with is wicked cool)

    Toni: You are the Yoda in my life.

    CT: I spotted catch 22 on your shelf the other day. I'm trying not to start with classics cause then no one will re-read them.

    Anydamngyu: Trust me. CT has fun and is a nice guy/ So it's meant as a compliment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home