I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Random musings today..

Too "eh" and "blah" to make coherent conversation today, so I'm subjecting the world at large to general incohernt ramblings. May even disintegrate into rants...but I'm not promising anything just yet. (My conversations today have had the whiff of non-sequitor about them so far. Would you like some tea with your ramblings?)

Why is Jai Ma Sherowaali the ONLY cassette the Halwai's minions downstairs have? I'm sick of hearing the damn song! I have half a mind to chuck them the CD of 50 Cent's "The Massacre" I'm listening to. Take that, Durga worshippers!

I always return calls. If I don't, there's a reason. It's cause I don't wanna talk to you anymore. Well, for the most part. Take a hint. Stop bugging me! (I'm crossing my fingers and hoping someone takes heed). Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

I hate sneezing. Woke up this morning with a major case of the allergic sniffles. It's not even like the satisfying snot-filled sneezes that feel good to get off your chest (oy! with the mixed metaphors!). It's the general runny nose and itchy sinus that is killing me (softly, I might add.)

Why do Bombay buildings all resemble giant cages? When I was growing up, we all had nice balconies to chill out in and breathe in the sea air. Suddenly, over the past 5 years, we're all enclosed in steel bars? Does this reflect the bestialization (or words like that) of the Bombayite?

When I want my bhel puri "meetha", i want it "MEETHA" dammit! I barely have a tongue anymore after choking back a plate full of "normal" bhel puri. America has heightened my taste buds methinks (reflected in my new found hatred for Maggi Chili Tomato sauce).

Why do people say Hello when they pick up their phones? I mean, I prefer the Italian "Pronto, sono io!" myself. This way I can fool people into believing I'm busy. I also like Mr. Burns' "Ahoy-hoy". But if you don't watch the Simpsons (Sacrilicious!), you won't get it.

I love kurtas. I'm heading over to FabIndia to buy a couple in an hour. Since I'm resigned to being single, I've decided to switch to ethno-chic. This way I'll only attract Bong communists who I can then reject. And how I'll laugh! The thought is making me feel better.

I was told that I should resign myself to sleeping around because "gay men don't have relationships". First of all; Fuck You! Secondly; I can do that when I'm 28, who's gonna sleep with me when I'm 48?

Ladakh is where I plan on going this year. Alone. I made up my mind. Alone. Watching the geese fly accross the Zanskar and walking along the Indus. Alone. Watching the monks at a gompa in Leh and turning the prayer wheels. Alone. Om mane padme hum.

I need my cup of tea. NOW. It's tea-time..where is that boy! Hot Assam tea with milk and sugar (2 spoons). And a couple of Britannia Nice biscuits (which I call "bikkis"). In a saucer. Yum..bliss!


Current Music:
Baby got back - Sir Mix-a-lot.

Oh My Gawd Becky! Look at her butt! I remember singing this song at top volume with Mo and his roommates at a karaoke bar in Washngton DC. And these two girls pulled their pants down. How much fun!

11 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ladakh - I quite agree it is the place to go to and certainly go alone. (You can always go via Delhi which kind of makes up for the lonely nights in the mountains).

    It's nice to know that I am not "freakish" for wanting to take my holidays without excess baggage.

    My worst nightmare (trust me, it happened!!) - checking in to the hotel and realising that my neighbours were there as well. What a waste of so many thousand km of travel.

    Thank God they know me to be crazy so they did not try and get to too friendly and set up commom sightseeing trips.

    More to the point though let me assure you that if you can manage to sleep around at 23 there will be twice as many opportunities once you get to be 46.The world is full of cute "little" guys looking for father figues.

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger karuna said…

    The reason we don't have that many baconies anymore is cuz the air isn't worth breathing!
    It's what gives you the sniffles, me thinks (i betcha din have them in boston, i know i don't have them when im not here).
    I sympathise though, i go through it almost EVERY morning, so if you ever find a cure do share.

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    Heyyyy Vikster! Where IS the Fabindia here? I've got lost 5 times, trying to find it :( Need Kurtas too, in all those new yummy colors.
    Ladakh is always great fun. Alone or not. People come back older n wiser and smarter.
    And i agree with F-cubed, if you can sleep around now, you can sleep around then too. Just keep yr sense-of-humor intact and men will be drawn to you...
    :)
    Why do people in Bombay say "Anyways?"
    V

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    AnydamnGuy: Um. Nah. Just a very very very low point in my life. S. and S. don't want me. They picked 2 other people instead.

    F-cubed: Looking forward to the trip to Ladakh. I've only been on vacation alone once. To LA. And I spent ALL week hanging out at a coffee shop there reading a book. I don't vacation well alone....giving this a second shot.

    Also, compared to the guys I know, I'm SO NOT sleeping around!

    Karuna: Right you are. I never had the sniffles in Boston. Here I have a hacking cough as well. If this was Jane Austen times, I'd be the consumptive duchess locked up in a tower.

    Vijayeta: It's in Bandra..Pali Hill. Just above Zig Zag Road. Also IN Kalaghoda. Email or IM me if you wanna go to the Bandra one. I can never have enough kurtis. Or kurtas (I think that's a male kurti). PS You need to intro me to AB.

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    Just read about 80% of your entire blog! U like Candy Shop :D I lurrrve it...still. Even though its beyond passe! AB's moved to Europe 2 months back, breaking a lot of hearts. (Including his own!) :( I feel awful not having known you earlier. But we can still watch Dus for the nth time and drooooooooool over that AB...and the way he dances in that song...Sex on toast!
    There's a Zig-Zag road in Bandra? Never knew! Will let u know when i'm that side... Yes, Kurtas ARE male kurtis. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise :)
    P.S. Have u ever been to Pondicherry?

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    P.P.S.- I did that Inner European quiz... I'm Italian too :D I'm already dizzy with images of all those gorgeous men...mmmm...smartly dressed women and all that yummy food n wine...Sinfulll!

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Pranav said…

    Thanks for dropping in...:-)...I'll do Shantaram and tell you if I liked it...:)
    haha, yeah, when I moved to bby last year, I rarely spotted a balcony here...and I miss the balconies and gardens here...and yup...Ladakh is a must-go!!!!

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    Hey...Thanks for making that VERY valid point. I've gone hoarse in the throat telling them what a sham this Metrosexual trip is. And i also feel great finally having put up my Rat, Squirrel and Rabbit theory here! I dont know when the men will really get this! Phew!
    But feels amazing to begin the day on a very bitchy note...and to find support ;)
    V

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I dont know about holidaying alone..But yes, thinking about holidaying alone is good..i do it all the time..when i think i am lonely..friendless....loverless..and then suddenly the thoughts of randomply backpacking on my own thrills me!! it recharges! but nah..havent got the guts yet to try it out..alone..
    and yes...people might sleep around ..or have a relationship...But doing none is pleasurable too..and no..its not just gays..its everybody

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger Archster said…

    I hate it when someone cant take a hint as well. So needy. It makes me cringe. (and then ill secretly hope that I've never come across half as needy to anyone else)

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Hob Gadling said…

    First of all.

    It's Maggi Hot and Sweet Tomato Chili Sauce (It's different!)

    And second of all. (Hehe, always wanted to say second of all.)

    How can you not like it????

     

Post a Comment

<< Home