I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Good news!

So my best friend Meenakshi took the plunge this weekend..metaphorically speaking. She got engaged on Saturday evening to a super-nice (and wicked tall!) guy. I'm nicking these pictures to show you her mehndi for the function. Of course, as a gay MAN, I refuse to have anything to do with henna/mehndi unless it's as a nice face-pack (don't leave it on for too long though..you'd turn orange!). Or if I was an old Miyanbhai living on Mohd. Ali Road, I'd use it to dye my goatee a bright orange...to match the red spittle drooling from the edge of my mouth onto a spotless-white Lucknowi kurta..

Anyway, Meenu's engagement in a very Punjabi family led me to brush up on my Monsoon Wedding dialogues...Of course, I need any excuse to burst out into a line from that movie..And what better place to do it than at a full-to-goodness (an old Bandra expression) Punju engagement ceremony? "Arre give them some pri-vassy na! You know, when I was your age, me and CL just met and phata-phat got engaged!" I was waiting for some old auntieji to say "Tumhare man nahin karta shaadi karne ka?" to which I could snootily reply "Aapke bete ne abhi puccha hi kahan hain?"

Alas, none of it happened. Just went on smoothly..Meenu looked very very pretty in a (Sorry the fashion digression is for my gay readers) pale purple gharara (or is it shahrara?) with matching rhinestone patterns and slippers. All accentuated by a (dinchak-jhatak) gold purse holding the bare essentials every girl carries to a function - condoms, lube, batteries...Oops! Sorry..that was my bag opening..

Anyway (Or Unch-vi as Meenu and me say), I just wanted to wish my best friend all the luck and love in the world with A. by her side. And yes, let me be the first to tell you, A. does have a really nice ass....

*ducks and runs for cover as a rhinestone studded chappal is thrown at me*

Love you Meenu and A.


In other news, I was accosted by a mob of Konkani relatives last night as I walked out of the RK mission Pujo after the aarti. Apparently, I was spotted singing the Bhajans along with the monks (yes, I actually was doing that.....hey! those monks needed glamourizing!). So now all these aunties think that I'm religious. The words "G-d fearing, religious, cultured and ABoyIWouldLikeToHaveAsASonInLaw" were used in rather animated conversation over rossogolla and bundi. I'm very scared.

I think I will lie low and try not to be seen at temples this season. Probably only hang out at clubs and bars to reclaim some of my lost coolness...Aunties love me, Uncles appreciate me. If only I can get a fucking guy to do the same!!

Current Music:
(In honor of Meenakshi) Kaala Chashma

Why? Well, unch-vi !

7 Comments:

  • At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awwww Vik. I know he has a nice ass, several lesbians have also claimed so. All I can do is sigh, and rest my drink on his bodacious booty!

    Thanks so much! Love you and I will always be your biggest fan. As long as you don't become his bum chum ifyouknowwhatimean!

    MUAH Meenu!!

     
  • At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    haha just found your blog thru Ditty, and must say you are too funny. i'm from bombay as well but living in philly right now.

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Aunties love me, Uncles appreciate me. If only I can get a fucking guy to do the same.

    Not to take this out of context or anything but. Yes. Just.

    Yes.

    (And that is teh kewl mehndi!)

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey there Vikster

    Think OUT OF THE BOX!!!

    There are a lot of very unconventional uses for mehendi

    Here is but one example (and a blatant plug for my own blog)

    http://f-cubed.blogspot.com/2005/10/mehendi-magic.html

    Viraf

     
  • At 2:48 AM, Blogger karuna said…

    love kala chashma...
    and congratulations meenu! :)

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. It is always great pleasure to read your posts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home