I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Monday, September 12, 2005

Thankful for:

I found some old Thanksgiving photos of me when I was back in the US..and I remembered awesome family gatherings or lunch with friends where I went over a list of things I'm thankful for..Got me thinking about what I'm happy and feel blessed for today. Here they are (in no particular order):

1. An awesome family : Even if they can get a little exasperating at times..I'm just grateful they're not as conservative and uneducated like some of the people I meet.

2. A great group of friends : Sometimes I almost tear up thinking about how it is to have such acccepting friends. It takes a lot to have people change their viewpoints about a particular "lifestyle" but I'm just incredibly lucky to have intelligent, liberal and fun friends. Especially when I talk to people who're petrified about coming out because they're so afraid their friends will abandon them.

3. A winning personality : OK so this sounds remarkably vain but I'm learning to appreciate the fact that I'm an extrovert and am well read. It makes such a difference when it comes to meeting people. The minus point is that I look for the same in a prospective boyfriend...and find Bombay sadly lacking...(well, maybe ;-)

4. Am middle class : Comfortably middle class that is. When I read horror stories about poor people during the recent deluge in Bombay, I was horrified at just how soon your comforts and life can change. And when I meet people for reasonably well-off backgrounds, I'm just amazed at how cut off they are from the rest of society. And the attitudes! Oof!

5. Am healthy : When i consider that my deadliest illness so far has been chicken pox at the age of 20, I count myself very lucky. Especially when I consider I've been wading through the encephalitis, malaria, cholera, lepto infested monsoon waters every other day.

6. Am eclectic in my tastes : When others talk about Britney and 50 Cent, I'm able to (not that I always do) talk about Fairuz and Articolo 31. When people read Maximum City and God of Small things, I'm (along with them) also able to enjoy a biography of Mussolini and the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Newsflash: I'm done with Vol. 4....onto Vol. 5 and the Rise of the Turks)

7. I'm a Bombayite : Thank you G-d! And I absolutely love it as well. And for Bandra....

There's so much more I want to be thankful for and so much more I regret. But the good mood I'm in thanks to a particularly fun series of dates with S. on the weekend (very chaste..surprisingly!) isn't letting me think about anything I regret. Perhpas when this ends like everything else in my life in a flash of light and series of small fires, I'll blog then!

Current Music:
Won't the real Slim Shady please stand up? - Eminem

(*makes hiphop guy poses and scares co-workers*)

10 Comments:

  • At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Arabs Take Byte at Regimes
    In the world of Syrian bloggers, one computer key is essential. Backspace. "You start writing something and then you think about it: Maybe I'll be misunderstood," said Ayman Haykal, a 25-year-old medical ...
    This is a great blog with much good info.
    My main interest is genealogy, and I have written a genealogy book which you can find along with many articles at my site. I believe it's the only genealogy book of its kind, dealing specifically with search for noble ancestors.

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger Toni Farley said…

    I am grateful for Vikram :)

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am full of greatness for MUMBAI! I was in Delhi this past week and I must say MUMBAI feels like home, after Worcester, MA of course!

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehehe... 'these are a few of my fave thing' by the vikster? ;-) well, i'm glad ure in a good mood these days, babe... and don't worry too much abt de flashes of light and de fires! lol. have a fun time with S.
    ;-)

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should send your list to Oprah magazine, maybe she'll publish it, just kidding.

    Really though, I too am grateful that you exist.

    Once I sat out on that seawall down at the end of Bombay, the jewels or whatever, and i thought it would be fun to sit there and play prostitute --maybe even see if i could pick up some tricks. Man was it a bad idea, after about an hour of sitting and dangling my bait --i was laughed at by some real hookers no boubt and left to my lonesome. I then quickly exited the worlds oldest profession and then walked back to my parked cab, alone, a reject. I'm sure my cabbie thought i was a freak.


    Duncan Hines.

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Archster said…

    Family and Friends can get you through a lot! Yesiree.

    Still smilin at your vain comment on your winning personality. But then again its comments like that ... that despite its honesty, still makes me smile and makes me want to read ur blog.

     
  • At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh woe is me. when will the vikster blog again? Is he too busy canoodling with forbidden fruit to come back and grace us with his experiences and anecdotes of the Roman Empire? Boo Hoo!
    MUAH Your second best friend

    PS:Where is Duncan Hynes?

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey Where is Vikram anyway?

    I may have to just do my own Vikram Blog.
    Okay here goes.

    --------------------------------------------

    Oy! it's so humid. When did Boston get to be so hot?
    Wait a minute, I'm in Bombay not Boston! Tsk. Tsk.
    No wonder every one is so brown! And i thought it was just me.

    OHHH, I met the perfect man last night. I was at the Yankee Bookstore reaching for a copy of Susan Sontag's the Effect of Gamma Rays on Jellibi Juice when i saw him staring right through me, right at my tight Calvin Klien Boxer Briefs, the one's that give my flat ass a slight lift and give me' balls the nesting place they deserve. Anyways, the dude was so cute but alas, we got to yapping and he foamed at his mouth as he talked (yuk!) and didn't get it when i wanted to play Socrates and the naked Spartans.

    Ohh Fudge!, what do i have to do to meet a man who gets me?

    It sucks to be so Upper Middle Class in such a dumpster of a city. I wish i could just upgrade my whole life ---like a combo meal at Mcdonalds.

    I'm on my fifth rewrite of my bio, "Why Don't People Worship Me?' I'm even talking to David La Chappelle about taking some pictures of me for the cover. He even agreed to let me put his rate on Lay Away, 10bucks down and only 10Grand left to go. I love progress.

    well I just got mail, with a stamp even, remember those? The mail's from Borneo. I'm really famous there, there's even a shrine to my image in some tribal hut but i do not acknowledge it cause the effigy of me's dressed in wranglers and not in my butt hugging Lucky Jeans --damn those cannibals. But, atleast I have something in common with those head hunters, we all think I'm so hot!!!!

    "Ding Dong"

    Excuse me while I get the door.

    (Vikram goes to the door and then comes back)

    Hey guys, its the boat lift from Laos that I personally organized. There's an entire Laotion family here to Alphabatize my CD's and Fabrize every step i take.

    Ciao, Homo's.

    song on the radio, ah i mean my very ELITE Samsung Soundsystem: I'm Too Sexy.

    --------------------------------------------
    see what happens when Vikram doesn't write? The cat's out and the mice have to entertain themselves.


    Duncan Hines.

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S.

    If Vicky is going to go out and get laid, then so am I.

    I promise to come back with a sweaty story, and this time, I'm going to drive past the day laborers, migrant workers, and share cropers that i usually cruise for a quick lay.

    No, this time I'm going straight to the top, I'm going to go to the TAJ Hotel and work the Buffet Manager, he's so f'ing hot, and he can get me an all access pass to the Buffet of my dreams.

    Duncan.

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Duncan,
    If that last coment was a hint as to who you are, I'm SO going to the Taj this week to look at the buffet manager.

    Come say hi. I don't bite (well, not unless you want me to..)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home