I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

So in love...

With a lot of things nowadays..Weird things. Little things. Things that make me go Hmmm..OK the last one was a just kidding moment..that used to be a song..(Salt n' Pepa?) that I loved when I was an impressionable teen. That and Shoop! Though that was more because of the hottie black guys in beachwear who were EVERYWHERE in that video.

*sighs as he recollects days spent on the beach in Goa making out with M. and checking out assorted Israelis and Finns*

Anyway, here are (in no particular order) things that I'm in love with right (7.38pm IST) now:

1. Samosas : Specifically Punjab Sweet House samosas. As I type this out, I'm biting into a piping hot, slightly oily samosa (One of a dozen I will consume by the time I head home). That's the danger of working right above a junk food takeaway joint. (Readers from Boston will recollect my drives out to the Framingham temple just so I could visit the samosawallah in the Desi store nearby).

2. Rains late at night : I have been woken up the last few nights by the sound of rain lashing down on Bombay's unprotected streets. It's romantic, cool (temperature wise) and luvverly to look at sitting in the balcony. Of course, my more civic-minded readers will feel sorry for the 6 million people who sleep on the streets of Bombay, but eh! It's romantic. Nuff said.

3. James Mitchener : I have all but 2 of his books. And the more I read and re-read, the more I'm growing to love this author's amazing story telling abilities. I wish I could write like him. I wish I could BE him (OK maybe not..cause then I'd be dead). My favourite book? Probably a toss between Poland and Covenant. The Source was good too (well, for starters, it almost converted me to Judaism..till I heard of the circumcision requirement).

4. Anonymous/Duncan Hynes : So far, his comments on my blog have cracked me up. He like totally gets me and stuff (OMG! I'm a Valley Girl!). It's driving me up the wall that I probably won't ever meet him (My imagination makes him a Pakistani guy with a crush on me who divides his time between New York and Karachi....am I right?). I mean, who else besides me knows that I'm Grace Adler when it comes to buffets? His last comment led me to wonder if he's been secretly stalking me as I gorge on the buffets of Bombay!
Marry me Duncan!

5. Politics and Elections : No, Meenakshi, I didn't say eRections. I've been glued to the idiot box (Well, I watch it..and I'm no idiot!-----> said without hint of irony) watching the returns come in from New Zealand (Helen Clark again!) and Germany (Will the CDU and SPD form a Grand Coalition? *bites fingernails and waits*). I now realize just what an election junkie (still "election" Meenu!) I am. Can't wait to ink my finger (Minds outta the gutter y'all!) at the by-elections (Hehehe! "Bi" election!) for Bombay North West in November..

Hmm.
That's 5 things. I think I'll have a different set of things to love in a few hours starting with myself (Yep. Still no action.)

Current Music:
I can see clearly now (the rain has gone) : Otis Redding

This song is so fucking feel good that it almost sounds like a Baptist anthem...OMG! It IS a Baptist anthem!! I'm so going to hell now.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger Toni Farley said…

    1. Yummy
    2. Ditto
    3. I think I've read one
    4. *grins*
    5. Ha! One of my least favorite things

     
  • At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You didn't include me as one of the separate things that you LOVE! I can't believe, Duncan the Elusive has beat me out. {tear}

    Meenu

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so, should i get de jasoos/ journos ou to hunt for mr hynes for u, meluvs? ;-)

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow.

    I can't find the words to express how honored
    I am to appear on such a short list.

    I am extremely relieved that it's yours Vicky and not the FBI's.

    No one can live up to the hype, esp not me so i think the best thing to do if i want Vicky is to lay low for a while and then just reappear with some new jokes, some deep pockets, an autographed copy of anything by Mitchener.

    Until Vicky and I do interface, I'm going to pray to that sexy man/god, also known as Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a real life deity if you ask me, that Vicky and I get the break we need and that he's got his beer goggles firmly affixed to his head when we finally do meet.

    Finger's crossed and knocking on wood,
    Duncan Hines.

     
  • At 2:37 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Dr. Sanjay Gupta!!

    I love that man! I secretly wanna start an Ebola epidemic in downtown Bombay just so he can jet in with CNN and very earnestly tell me how I can be saved. (In my imagination, this involves a lot of mouth-to-mouth).

    *swoons*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home