I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Monday, September 26, 2005

The first date..

I have fantastic first dates (as I was explaining to Meenakshi at 2 am last night). It's just the follow-through into relationship-mode that I have such a hard time getting to. Why first date? I manage a healthy fun hanging-out and getting-to-know-you session all the way into the 3rd or 4th date when sex and emotions begin to complicate things on my side...

I love everything about a first date. Right from setting it up (and making sure the other party KNOWS it's a date and you're not just asking him out for dinner to become friends with him or whatever!) It's happened to me more times than I care to remember so now I'm all clinical about making sure "Well, this is a date you know!" or "How about we go out to dinner on a date?". Still I goof up sometimes like I did last night with S. Apparently he didn't know it was a date (cause in my flush of excitement of dating un Juif, I seemed to have forgotten rule #1. Make sure he know!), so he was quite surprised when I asked him out again for Date #2. His exact words? "A date? Why not! I think you're a great guy. It will be nice to go out with you". (Umm...and what was yesterday then, sexy Jew Man?).

Setting up the date.
Choosing what to wear to accentuate your best features (I avoid glasses, then when I look soulfully into my date's eyes, he can see just what whirlpools of undying love my eyes are...).
Taking out the "date underwear".
Planning your escape route if the dates ends in flames and tears.
Making sure you know where all your friends/competition are so that you don't run into them on the date.
Keeping a spare 500 Rs. handy just in case your date has expensive tastes in booze.
And above all; deo, mouthwash and cologne. (I end up smelling like a distillery before I leave. Have to sit under a fan for a bit to diffuse the scent!!)

And then finally, you're sitting in front of your date. Making great conversation (prepare and research date beforehand! It pays rich dividends). Being flirtatious without being a whore. Laughing easily and often. Eating and drinking sparingly (I always keep a full meal in my fridge at home for after-date dinners....I'm ravenous after a fun date).

And then you end with a walk..where you do the joshing around and the playful hits on the back...which soon turn into a little more touchy-feely. And before you know it, he's kissing you under the Gateway of India.

Thank you S. for a marvellous first date. Je sais maintenant pourquoi j'aime les juifs francais!


Current music:
Step by step (Toy soldiers) - Eminem

(Though as I'm listening to this song, all I'm actually playing in my head is the dreadful video for Disco 82....WHY G-d WHY!!)

6 Comments:

  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger Archster said…

    Ive been out to about 16 dinner dates with Mr. Gorgeous, with him not knowin its a date. Most unfortunate.

    But *sigh* how very good for you. Happy for ya.

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    My ex M. and me went out on 4 "dates" before he realized we were dating.

    On the other hand, I took his lack of interest in the "dates" as a lack of interest for "me.

    Which is why I was pleasantly surprised when, after the fourth date, with me having broken ALL my rules of dating, he grabbed me as I was in the middle of singing a very drunken Marsellaise and kissed me.

    Why did he do that?

    And make me fall in love with him......and then break my heart a year and a half later?

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is something magical about first dates- I know- I used to be a chronic first-dater. Unless the guy exposed his Republican leanings (Desi from Revea) or start humping my leg before dessert. At least wait til after!

    Ahhh those were the days. I'm always here to listen at 2am..Meenu

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mmmm.... haven't been on a gorgeous first date in a looong time.. my last was de Tall One. and it turns out, he thought we were just "friends"!!!!

    ass.

    ahem, ahem... so, yes, u were not lying at de party when u said u were thinking up blog mentions. so do i count as part of de frnds/ competition to keep date away from?
    ;-)

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    one should be a player
    every date is a first date
    in fact every date is a bed date

    satya

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Satya: I used to be like that. Now I won't sleep with people I like on the first date. It makes them wanna come back again for a second date.

    Closetalk: Yes. (To your question)

    I Male: Welcome and thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll be a frequent reader/contributor to the Sour Apple Martini. P.S. Nice undies.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home