I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Why I love Bombay.

As I stood accused of crimes ranging from "Misunderstanding auntiejis" to "Being a club blogger only", I pled guilty as charged and in exchange for a community service option of cleaning out Sena Bhavan every evening, I agreed to blog about more serious stuff like my love for Bombay and Pav Bhaji and my hatred for the smell of Juhu Beach in the morning.

So, Milord (or "Yaar Haanar" as Bollywood insists), here goes...(here goeth??)

I love Bombay because I love Bombay's people.

Right from my "bai" who speaks perfect English and calls me Sir as she proceeds to dust the entire dust-mite population of Greater Bombay (Est: 1-2 billion) on to me early on a Sunday morning, to my "watchman" who admonishes me every night as I get home from a club (Baba, Tum itna late aata hai, daddy ko fikar hogee)..

Right from my "autowaala" who lets me pay 1 Re. less if I don't have exact change, to my old Parsi neighbour who never fails to ask me about my long-dead grandfather every evening (Baba, How is Mr. Joshi? Still paining his back?)..

Right from the train "motorman" who crushes someone to death everyday as he strives to get me to town in time, to the BEST conductor whose "Pude chala, pude chala" are the only way I can get to the exit in time for my stop..

Right from the "sandwitchwaala" who knows just how much butter I want on my toast (an artery-clogging lot!) and how much chili flakes (none!), to the "hijda" who accosts me at Bandra signal pawing me and calling me Rajesh Khanna (honestly, do eunuchs not move with time? Rajesh was fashionable in 1970!)..

Right from the "bania" who knows just when we have guests at home based on the number of coconuts I buy, to the barber who throws in a free head massage (With oil Sir? Only 5Rs) after giving me a spiked look (Very fashion Sir! Only 40 Rs)..

Right from my father (Annu) who can quell a riot over the last slice of mango with one clearing of his throat, to my mother (Amma) who can whip up a dosa so light, it's like not even there..

With that milord (or Yaar Haanar, as you wish), I rest..

Random website:
http://www.badindiangirl.com
Are you Nosy Aunty? Or perhaps Pervert Uncle? Check if your sister is a total Payal here..

Music choice:
Punjab - Karunesh

9 Comments:

  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger livinghigh said…

    hey, bambaiyya boy! can see ure in a very sentu mood here!...

    PS: the aunty story was quite sad really, babes! tc.

    PPS: there's livingHIGH and talkingclosets at blogspot for me. drop by some time.

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger livinghigh said…

    PPPS: this is rahul, by de way... the joker in P.

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Bhumi said…

    Oh yaar,
    u made me miss India more.. I hate u! :-(
    My day begins with saying "Hey pixie" to my dog and ends with "god, get off my bed Pixie"
    No Bais, no autorickshavalas, no noething... You have made me move to India more now...I have got to move there!
    Btw, very nice choice of Music! (my favorite)
    And I cannot believe that u knew about that bad girl site.. I like that site..its so funny!

    Good Blog! I wish I could write like you or I can actually come up with something interesting to write about...

    take care dear

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice vvriting! my favourite blog so far... write on, martini-man...

    was surprised you didn't mention any of the mac neighbours.

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Baba...
    Like all the things in Mumbai..I am getting addicted to your blog..

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Vivek Tejuja said…

    ...i love everything about the city all of a sudden!! change of heart? i dont know yet

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    bombay is bombay.....
    love it through my heart and miss it like crazy.....
    and i like what u have written...
    some points maybe u missed out on...
    ....i like getting that irritatingly funny feel behind the butt..when some perverted married uncle tries to plaster down his privet possessions on it...in a local train....
    .. i like getting wet in the bombay rains and suddenly peeping at the windscreens of the car parked in rain to catch some gujju youngsters making out...
    ... i like having a quick bada pao in the station and gulping that white liquid from the vendor which still manages to taste like nimbu paani...

    it go on and on actually..and just realsied its someone elses blog..
    cheers
    kestrel
    am reading these posts of yrs quite late actually..

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i loved this blog! excellent..keep writing..:)

    -Megz

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    enjoyed your comments on NDTV....then visited your blog....cool
    sweet are the uses of advertisment

     

Post a Comment

<< Home