I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

What I wanna do till 2067..

Last night, we went to the 90th birthday party of our neighbour next-door.

A fun time was had by all (said Amma..or words to that effect) and after some awesome conversation with him (about racism, colonialism, the occupation of Iraq and the state of Bandra when he first moved there in 1939), I stayed awake at night thinking about what I want to do by the time I am 90. OK, most of the staying awake part was thanks to the extremely oily Paneer Makhani...but I did some thinking as well (interupted by an occasional burp or two).

So, here in no particular order are 10 things I want to accomplish before I'm 90.

1. Travel - Egypt (before the Sphinx loses another shoulder), Israel (if it's still around), Greece (before the Parthenon falls down), Turkey (while Tarkan is still single), Morrocco (before the hotties all become jehadis), Peru (to meet a genuine Inca), Australia (to finally be able to "put a shrimp on the Barbie")

2. Eat - Rabbit ("Fluffy" paella), Bitter Gourd (Karele ki sabzi), Alligator (Before it eats me), Porcupine (Wot? No toothpicks?)

3. Sleep (in) - a hammock on a white sandy beach in the Bahamas sipping a daiquiri and watching a flock (herd? congregation? family? pride?) of dolphins frolicking in the blue blue waters of the Atlantic.

4. Sleep (with) - Johnny Depp, Sade, David Beckham, Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries), Gwen Stefani (No Doubt), some brainless Punjabi Jat hottie from Delhi.

5. Read - Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead (the only book I have never been able to finish), Anna Karenina and War and Peace (books where I forget the names of the characters till they all meld into an indistinguishable, vaguely vodka smelling, potato shaped Russian emigre).

6. Watch - Myself on a home-made video actually singing Fernando avec les emotions, myself on a home-made video actually *-----* Fernando (also avec les emotions)

7. Discuss - My theories on the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire with special emphasis on the contribution of Zenobia and the Eastern Palmyrene Empire (as you can see, I plan on being alone till I'm 90).

8. Meet - Mandela (Ok So I have 1 year to do this), Shashi Tharoor (Tufts/Fletcher 2006? OK!), Bill Clinton (just so Meenakshi doesn't have that to gloat over), guy who discovers the cure for AIDS or cancer (90 is a LONG time away..)

9. Climb - Every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow, till I find my....DREEEEEEEAM (at this point, my balls drop off thanks to the excruciating effort of singing soprano)

10. Run - a marathon, a coffee shop, a political campaign, my rival's business to the ground (Denver-Carrington will never surrender! Big props to anyone who gets this reference)

In ending, Happy Birthday Kaka, may you enjoy your 100th and give me more to think!

Random Website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4530739.stm
Oy! The bathroom issues!!

Current Music:
Kiss me - Six pence none the richer (They're a Christian rock band? I hate them already!)

10 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can tell you this: you do not want to taste porcupine. Yes, the stars, cultures and other universes have aligned for me to be presented with this delicacy in a form of ground something-or-the-other that got hunted down the previous night. Many months later i found out what it was for sure, and it caused the same esophagus reaction as when first ...ingested.
    I hear some people in South America eat roasted tarantulas - if that is an appropriate substitute.

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger southpawpisces said…

    and give alligator a pass too. ok, i only had crocodile, but i suspect it can't be very different. i do recommend ostrich though.
    that denver carrington or whatever wouldn't have something to do with dynasty, would it? very vague on that one. hell, i can always look it up.
    (interval)
    ok, i just did. it is! strangest thing is, i hardly ever watched that crap. it just sounded like something out of there.

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Tanushree Baruah said…

    Your post has inspired me to write about the 10 things I want to do before I turn 50!
    Thanks....it was a funny read:)

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Vivek Tejuja said…

    ...i loved this post and i am not just saying this because i want to leave a comment...i like the bit about sleeping...johnny depp!!....aaahhh...coming back to the point...nice...

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sixpence.. ahh..how much i luv their music... and Leigh Nash.
    Christian .. r they ? so ?
    :)

     
  • At 1:18 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Yup! Mad props to Salil for getting the Dynasty reference. Kaustubh, I'm *not* a fan of Christian rock. Creed etc. UGH!

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dolores O'Riordan. i agree. if i were a lesbian..boy having to have her sing naked even before i got to something more interesting would make my head spi. she gives u the best dope trips in the world. a very goodc hoice in women i must say.

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you dont want to read "the fountainhead", its a farce. and dont you think you are trying too hard here...i mean...relax! and i know you are gonna hate me for this. but well...
    kunal.

     
  • At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm, hope you can eventually do some of the shyte you want to do. All ze best!

     
  • At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i like the brainless delhi jatHOTTIE ( they are!!) part....somehow the world thinks alike abt them...


    the rest of the stuff are normal...maybe sleeping with a porcupine and eating up johnny depp wud have been better.
    kestrel

     

Post a Comment

<< Home