I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Just what is a pub anyway?

I've been having this argument on Orkut..read all about it here.
http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=68252&tid=3328596

The basics (if you couldn't manage to read the thread) were that Bombay had no pub that played heavy metal..while my argument on a technicality was that Bombay had *no* pubs, only clubs.

Basing my entire thesis on the definition of "pub" (public house) I got on Wikipedia and my experiences in various genuine pubs in Boston and Chicago, I seem to have hit a nerve with the vast majority of young 'uns who don't like having their beliefs challenged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub

A pub has live music (sorta like what we saw in the video for Ode to my Family by the Cranberries..one of my favourite songs..but I digress) not the kind of loud, dance music blaring in Bombay's "pubs". For Dylan, who said Toto's in Bandra qualifies as a pub, NO! It doesn't. It's a bar, plain and simple. A dive bar if you want to get more to the point. A place that's kitschy enough that Bostonians would travel an hour to get to it.

A pub has good hearty food (bangers and mash anyone?) and perhaps even rooms above that the publican rents out. Where in Bombay do we find this?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Bombay has clubs and Boston has pubs (and clubs). I prefer Boston pubs and Bombay clubs...maybe when the good folks on Orkut make the effort to travel, they'll get what I meant.

Random link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050503/lf_afp/afplifestylehistorycrimeripper
Jack the Ripper might have been a travelling sailor......somehow I prefered the Duke of Clarence as a suspect.

Current Music:
Salvation - The Cranberries

1 Comments:

  • At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Start your own pub instead of bitchcribbing, ok?

    You ARE tall, dark and handsome, and you'd be surprised at how many guys in Singapore are just right for you! Does not include the shirtless one, HE is all MINE. But he does play the guitar and keyboard really well, so you could offer him a part-time job of jamming at your pub.

    Vikki Vikki Vikki Aaja Aaja Aaja........


    Read My Blog

     

Post a Comment

<< Home