I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Sunday, May 01, 2005

It's just another Manic Monday

10 thoughts re: My night at "Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vimantal" (Ah for the good ol' Sahar Airport!)
  • People love to gawk at foreigners...to the point where they're all in-your-face about it.
  • Only about 75% of the folks at the airport are actually there to pick up someone...the rest? Refer to point #1.
  • Bombay (and by extension, India) smells like Phenyl with a whiff of evaporating urine.
  • We luvs us our fluorescent tube-lights.
  • There are 20 ways of pronouncing Lufthansa in Bombay.
  • Bombay taxis are the new dance bars...all disco balls and dhinchak music.
  • Sahar is probably the only airport in the world with it's own chaiwalla in the arrival lounge.
  • The word "lounge" is over-rated. Try "Mosquito-infested, brutally air-conditioned waiting room". Also see point #3.
  • There is something incredibly touching about families meeting again. Brings a lump to your throat till you realize it's probably the "chicken" burger you had at the airport cafe!
  • It takes 45 minutes to get into the airport from the highway and 10 to leave. Very much like India, dontcha think?
Random musing:
Is it just me or does anyone else find this incredibly weird?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1094781.cms

Current music:
Hindi: Aane waala pal : Golmaal

5 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Selma Mirza said…

    Strange co-incidence. I was humming this song on my way to work today. Did you watch Golmal on TV recently? I did.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Selma Mirza said…

    Alright, I didn't realise I was looking at MAY archives. :-$

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Deepali said…

    Yup you are quite right in your observations. I remember my aunts always complaning about how bad the road from the airport is. They always say - as soon as you land in India you get to smell a perfume unique to India - sheeeeeeeee perfume.

     
  • At 2:40 AM, Blogger chiquita said…

    okay so hi!sans the what i call retarded ''sup'' howdy'' and the like,okay[for the second time!!]im sure you already sensed my not-so-brilliant art of magniloquence[or circumloqunce rather!!!],id still proceed....[that i am doing anyway,needless to mention!!!]...[okay enough,last time and im done!]...........so i saw you on NDTV!!absulutely loved your ear rings and the debate ofcourse!![in no particular order!]

    and though it took time for me to locate this site,yes google does work but my net got screwed up so....anyway found it now,and being the mental nut i am,pretty much spent[spending all afternoon reading your blog!![no regrets!!],nothing mental about it...just that i have my second pre-board tomorrow!![STILL no regrets!!!!!!]

    so when i saw the show,i just knew i would come and read these blogs..[jhoomar's too] and comment...but now im wondering what could i say in this space that noone has ever said before??[okay,for the fourth time enough of trying to be super smart...i say things which who've already heard:) *you rock!!*[no not the sedimentary,metaphorphic etc., or the yo-yo saying *kewl dewd* *types* or any other new sex connotaion attached to it..is there one already??but anyway just!!! keep blogging......[:)]

    okay[seriously last time ah] you know what ABSOLUTE random means??that!!or rather this!!

    anyway take care!
    love
    chiquita sripada
    peace!!

     
  • At 2:45 AM, Blogger chiquita said…

    yup just realised how much i can type!![typed!!],deletion wont be taken too seriously!!

    peace!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home